Thursday, November 11, 2010

Have It Your Way?

I'm all for customization. My job is in custom textbooks, for goodness' sake. But yesterday I'm in Wendy's, and between looking at the menu and ordering a baked potato, I overhear one of those customers.

It's safe to say the man's a few cards short of a full deck. But when he starts by asking the price of every item he's stewing over, I expect trouble. And isn't it sad that I expect this sort of thing when I'm downtown? His next point of contention: "I don't know if I want fries with my combo." The cashier suggests a salad. More grousing, then the fries are back on the table. The cashier rings up a chicken sandwich.

"How do you know what I want?" he asks. Because he ordered a number 6, and that's the sandwich in the number 6 combo, she tells him. "But no, no, no," he says. "I don't get to pick what I want on it." It comes with lettuce, tomato, and mayo. "No, I don't want that. How come I don't get to pick? Right next door, over at Burger King, it's 'Have It Your Way'. But now you're telling me I have to have it your way. I'm the customer! I want it my way."

There are several possibilities. One, he's never been to Wendy's, which includes lettuce, tomato, and mayo on everything. Two, he's never been to a fast food restaurant. Otherwise, he would know to request what he wanted up front.

Then at the theatre afterward, a woman barges into her row in a huff, winter coat in hand. The coat check is closed for the evening, and she is appalled. I remember her exact words as she sits down: "This is inhuman." Ma'am, your coat is the size of an igloo, so I understand the inconvenience, but is inhuman the best word here? On a grand universal level, it's slightly above unwrapping candies during the show.

She was agitated because she couldn't have it her way. Well, I would prefer if my audiences didn't shuffle around noisily or text, but part of buying a ticket means that I have to share the space with others. Play nicely. As the last line of The Apartment goes, "Shut up and deal." It's not about doing it My Way. That philosophy's already killed a few in the Philippines, anyway.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I so wish you'd have told her your "m'am, your coat is the size of an igloo ..." line.

I'm gonna put "fining people for stupidity" in my "If I ruled the world" manifesto. Thanks for the inspiration. I'll put you on the acknowledgments, oh and I'll exempt you from the fine for the unlikely occasion that you might get in trouble. =P

Katie Vagnino said...

Believe me, working in a restaurant, it's amazing to see how many people feel downright entitled to change/personalize every element of their meal. I'm always so tempted to be like, "Look, unless you're Brad fucking Pitt, you have to order off the actual menu in front of you LIKE EVERYONE ELSE."

Kalyn said...

If these are the biggest issues facing those people, they are so lucky. I can't imagine having the toppings on my fast food and the minor inconvenience of having to hold onto my coat leading to so much emotion.

Search This Blog