Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Oh say, can you sing?

I'm slacking on my July posts. But in my defense, Tim came to visit this weekend! We caroused around Boston, chugged down 2 oz. beer samples at Harpoon, climbed Bunker Hill, and, oh yeah, celebrated the Fourth with prime Esplanade fireworks viewing.



Second time I heard the Pops this weekend. Three times each, over two nights, of Neil Diamond singing "Sweet Caroline" and "America." So I have Two Important Questions:

1. Who exactly is coming to America?
Far
We've been traveling far
Without a home
But not without a star

Free
Only want to be free
We huddle close
Hang on to a dream
It's as if we're entering Ellis Island. But suddenly, Diamond shakes it loose--We are They. You know:
On the boats and on the planes
They're coming to America
Never looking back again
They're coming to America
We are the movers, they are the shakers, and somehow We are the same as They. Maybe We, from seasickness or scurvy on the ships, are developing split personalities. It's such an existential song, right?, with us outside our bodies, staring back from shore as We somehow dock, dream held tight so it didn't fall overboard.

2. Is "Sweet Caroline" really America's favorite sing-along song?

That's what Craig Ferguson announced to the Esplanade Saturday night. We'll rule out patriotic songs, because never fear, we sang all those too. From the redwood forests to amber waves of grain. And the swarms of celebrators crooned "Caroline" with panache. We (or should it be They?) tore it up on the descending "Ba da dum," the key change, and the Rocky Horror fanaticism of "So good, so good, so good!" And I bet the entire country, fruited plain and purple mountains et al., could join in. Besides, after three choruses, you can't avoid knowing it.

But do we all know "Sweet Caroline" better than all other pop songs? It embraces generations, so any contestant to the throne of Sing-Along VIP must be from, let's admit it, our parents' time. The baby boomers might stumble on "Baby Got Back," methinks.

My list of potential challengers:
"American Pie"
What could be more American? Not cheery, though, and eight minutes long.
"Sweet Home Alabama"
Meets the crowd interjections requirement: "Oh, sweet home" and "Boo, boo, boo."
"Imagine"
Written by a Brit, but ideal for swaying lighters.
"We Are the Champions"
In sports arenas, might take the cake. But Freddie Mercury sings so high! (Better inebriated?)
"My Girl"
Everybody connects with Motown. What else could make you feel this way?

Now, c'mon, you've got your two cents. Leave me a comment! America wants an answer!

7 comments:

Claire said...

Oh you bet I was screaming like a drunk idiot to Sweet Caroline, and I loved every second of it.

But America's favorite sing along song is clearly Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'"

J.A.G. said...

Word. Also, forgot about "Living on a Prayer."

teppler2 said...

After reading your list of contenders most carefully, I put up the song "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor for a vote.

An excellent candidate if I do say so myself:

1) Simplistic yet catchy lyrics allowing for the dullest of oafs to sing a long.

2) Goes along swimmingly w/ Martinis (or any general choice of an evening cocktail).

Enough said?

Connie said...

I'm going to mix it up and suggest that a Christmas song is America's favorite sing along song. Something good and secular, of course, like Jingle Bells or Rudolph. I mean, who doesn't love singing Rudolph while shouting "LIKE A LIGHTBULB!" every other line? I think these would be good contenders for the title since these songs are so multi-generational. I mean, you don't hear too many 4 year olds or 80 year olds singing along to "Sweet Home Alabama" or "American Pie"...

MrsBintheRIC said...

hmmmm, I think "Living on a Prayer" is pretty epic, a friend of mine once told me that if Farmville was going to have a noise ordinance, then Jon Bon Jovi was the only person acceptable for blasting in your car with the windows down. Though honestly I'd really love a crowd of people singing songs from "Sound of Music" or "Newsies" in the streets... Oh wait, I've practically done that - at least with SoM.

Small Town Transplant said...

How about "Johnny B. Goode"? I had a friend tell me that that song is so catchy and well-known that even if you hate Chuck Berry, you can't help but sing along and enjoy it when it comes on.

Katie Vagnino said...

I'm not sure about America's favorite sing-along song, but I can say that working in bars has forever soured me on Journey's oevre.

Also, "Coming to America" was the 1st song on the (not so) smooth hook-up mix this guy in college put on when we went back to "see his room."

Search This Blog