Thursday, February 19, 2009

Mind If I Pontificate?

I was trying to recall my favorite words, and it turned out tons of them start with P.

Perspicacity. I first heard this word in a song from Anyone Can Whistle: "How you say, imperturbable perspicacity." When I learn new words, I try to use them in speech. My brain and tongue crossed signals, and for the first few days of acquiring this word, I pronounced it "per-scip-a-city." Not very shrewd of me.

Pusillanimous. Picked this up from The Wizard of Oz, when I was young and innocent, and didn't know what satire was. Imagine my excitement when I discovered it meant cowardly.
"Every pusillanimous creature that crawls on the Earth or slinks through slimy seas has a brain.
Back where I come from, we have universities, seats of great learning,
where men go to become great thinkers. And when they come out, they think deep thoughts
and with no more brains than you have. But they have one thing
you haven't got: a diploma."

Now my favorite. Pulchritude. Be honest, you think of a corpse with empty eye sockets, rotting in a musty grave and covered in cobwebs. In actuality, it's a word for great physical beauty. You open your bedroom window and part the drapes for a sight of the sun rising behind mountains caked in white. It's one of those words that conveys something much more striking than I originally supposed. Kind of like the letter P; it's an ugly little bugger, but look at the great words it heads.

1 comment:

Applesauce said...

I'm a big fan of persnickety myself

Search This Blog