Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Nine Lives to Live

The wind ripples through my overcoat as I run to the T this evening. In my hypothermic delirium, I hear a guy shout, "I hate cats!" Without censoring myself, as if through free association, I immediately countered with, "Who in the world hates cats?" No, I didn't say that out loud, my lips wouldn't brave the wind; but my internal outburst startled me in its fervent hypocrisy. Why would I feel outraged at this Cambridge-dwelling feline-filcher when I myself have professed my animosity toward cats?

In my defense: They aren't lovable like dogs. They don't want to love and be loved; it's a one-way street of pampering for cats, and we their human servants must do the parallel parking. They don't laze and sprawl, they preen and posture. Artifice shrouded in theatricality compared to the earthbound allure of those who bark.

Once upon a time I couldn't be in the same room as a cat without rubbing my eyes raw. Back when you're ten, bloodshot eyes don't suggest inebriation but instead copulous swims without goggles. Time passes -- and suddenly the allergies don't seem as offputting. Still, keep your Kleenex on hand. And not because their adorableness reduces me to puddles of tears.

I even hold photographic evidence of how my feelings have tempered. Meet Gypsy, Heather's cat: a bit of a creeper, but a sprawler, too, and a nuzzler. She rubs her body against your leg to get to know you -- just like a woman.


I will never own a cat, or find much love for cats. But it's time we put aside our differences and strive to be amicable. There will be ground rules. No cuddling, no sleeping next to me, no purring for my affections. All contact must be hasty and meaningless. (And I will not call, so don't ask for my number.)

2 comments:

Connie said...

Josh has written an entire blog post about cats...I'm not sure what is happening in the world, but I like it! ;-)

Anyway, there was no way I could let this post go by without a comment. I'm always annoyed with people who say they hate cats and then have no particular reason other than the fact they aren't dogs. So the fact that you accept then for what they are (and better yet, are willing to be amicable) is wonderful in my book!

I will say, however, that my experiences with cats have been that once you get to know one, they can be even more "lovable" than dogs. As far as I can tell, all the dogs that my family has ever had would betray any one of us for a piece of bacon if they ever had the chance (although, perhaps this is more of a commentary on Golden Retrievers...).

I think the reason I like cats is that their love tends to be more subdued and subtle, and in the few that I've owned (I know this isn't the case for all of them) it isn't so dependent on constant attention. One of my favorite parts about coming home when I've been away for several months is finding Tuffy. His eyes always get really big when he first sees me, he gives me a good sniff, then begins to slowly rub against my hand and gradually begins to purr. He then won't leave my side much for the rest of the time I'm at home. He doesn't do this in an intrusive way, he's just usually curled up somewhere in close proximity, occasionally approaching me for some purring, cuddling, and petting time. I then compare this to the greeting I get from our dogs which goes something like, "OH BOY, OH BOY, I'M SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU!!! I'm going to jump all over you and lick your face and love you forever!!! Oh, Dad has FOOD!? Bye!" Then I don't get much from them for the rest of the time I'm home. Sure they're lovable, but it seems to come in quick bursts that are a bit overwhelming when they happen and are only temporary if you aren't providing constant petting or food.

Anyway, there's my overly long "Give cats a chance!" rant. You obviously have, and that makes me happy!

Belkis said...

To counter Connie, I don't think my dog would be a traitor to Austin and I. He sees himself as my protector. He is also very affectionate, and is right now sitting by me. However, I know that my sister's cat is very social and loving with everybody, which I think is the sign of a good cat. So, there are positives, but there is nothing like a good dog, even one like Hammy who has more energy than a power plant.

Search This Blog