Monday, January 5, 2009

Public Enemy (Or How I Learned to Start Worrying and Hate the Internet)

Lombardo warned us in class to know what's out there on the Internet about us. Then today I read an e-mail from Kate about our honors theses prominent in searches for our names; naturally distant acquaintances (fallen Facebook friends?), stalkers, and blackmailers will head straight for my fifty pages on suburban malaise and misogyny. But curiosity killed the boy allergic to cats: I decided to Google myself and see what all the fuss is about.

First up, an article from the DoG Street Journal previewing True West, in which I had a small part junior year. The author, in my Hemingway class that semester, must not have thought I'd mind if she fabricated a quote from me. With grand elocution, I said our director "experimented with lots of things." That's the pull quote that pays the rent.

Next comes a DSJ article I actually wrote, a review of the Superman musical. With the word "kitsch" in the title, I may redeem my previous vocabulary ineptitude.

Later down the page, Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling elected to copy-paste my Herald Progress clip about an event for healthy children onto his own website. An Ashland rabble-rouser cites another article on the defunct Ashland Theatre as "excellent" in his blog. I'm practically a Mechanicsville celebrity.

Add to this the expected: cast lists, orchestra rosters, Redivider staff, Circle K newsletters (with an article I wrote about the nourishing power of Ukrop's cake), and I start to feel accomplished.

The word was spread past reason. I also Yahoo!ed my name as I rolled in self-adulation (Chinese proverb say: when you can't roll in money, find next best thing). At the bottom of the first page is a link to a Yahoo! group I have never joined. One message logs an unending set of names, of which mine seems to be one, unbeknownst to moi. After my name, in Terrifyingly Important Capital Letters, I see the last four digits of my credit card! Right there, under a Yahoo! search, completely public. I'll backtrack; these numbers were from my former credit card, and have changed by now. Maybe that's why Suntrust issued me a new card.

But how spooky is that? When elected officials or town leaders mention me, that's both appreciated and in response to articles I wrote for public consumption. And I'm really non-sketchy about my Internet habits. The people who steal credit card numbers do more harm than even they realize: if I have to suffer through any more of those commercials with a linebacker voiced by Shirley Temple railing about identity theft, I may have to unleash some public destruction. In which case, feel free to write about me; it's all about boundaries, people.

3 comments:

Carrie Fab said...

Joshwah! I miss you already! And I love the title of this entry! It's so scary that Google showed the last four digits of your old credit card! I would probably turn off my computer forever and hide haha.

The cat was just lying on your blanket. It was so cute, and then she stuck her butt in my face again. Typical.

I miss you!

Applesauce said...

Hi Josh! I was very amused by your post (mostly the sarcastic examination of self) until you discovered that your CREDIT CARD was online. ummm SCARY. now i'm compelled to google my own name...

Belkis said...

Hey, at least when you google yourself, you don't find something saying you are from vigina. You know what I mean. Maybe that's why I can't get a teaching job.

Search This Blog